The purpose of the Transportation Working Group (TWG) is to assemble cross disciplinary teams of faculty and staff with broad interests in the transportation area. The group meets several times every semester to discuss ongoing research activities at various departments and centers at Mississippi State University (MSU) with the goal of facilitating more interdisciplinary scholarship within the College of Engineering as well as between other colleges and centers. TWG also brings prominent external speakers to talk with the MSU community to increase our visibility in transportation research on national and international arenas. With an increased focus on transportation systems and transportation security the TWG serves as a source of new knowledge and research ideas and provides a means for locating expertise at MSU.
For more information, please contact:
Sandra D. Eksioglu
Chair, Transportation Working Group
2012 Transportation Workshop Awardees
Students: Griffin Sullivan, E.I., Brennan Anderson, E.I., Brent Payne
Department: Civil and Environmental Engineering, MSU
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Isaac L. Howard
Title of abstract: “Full Scale Demonstration of Post Natural Disaster Emergency Paving Using Warm Mix Asphalt Technology”
Student: Jamie Boydstun
Department: Sociology, MSU
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Guangqing Chi
Title of abstract: “Gasoline Price Changes and Residential Relocation: Evidence from the American Housing Survey, 1995-2009”
Student: Mohammad Marufuzzaman
Department: Industrial and Systems Engineering, MSU
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Sandra D. Eksioglu
Title of abstract: “A Carbon Sensitive Biofuel Supply Chain Network Problem”
- May 1st: TRAC and RIDES Preparing Tomorrow Transportation Workforce, Ms. Linda Kay Clifton, Implementation Coordinator for MDOT's Educational Outreach Programs: TRAC & RIDES and TRAC & RIDES Manager for the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials. Brannan Conference Room, McCain Hall. at 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- February 21st: FedEx Logistics and Supply Chain Operations, John Behrends, P.E., Project Engineer with FedEx at the Memphis World Hub. Room 185, McCain Hall, at 11:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- February 4th :Optimizing the Internal Operations in a Cross-Docking Platform, Anne-Laure Ladier, PhD Student, Grenoble Institute of Technology, Grenoble, France. Dunn Conference Room, McCain Hall, at 11:30 a.m.-.p.m.
- April 13th : Biofuel Supply Chain Design under Competitive Agricultural Land Use and Feedstock Market Equilibrium, Dr. Yanfeng Ouyang, associate professor and the Paul F. Kent endowed faculty scholar of civil and environmental engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Room 185, McCain Hall, at 1:00-2:30 p.m.
- February 21st : 4th Annual Transportation Workshop, organized by the MSU Transportation Working Group and the National Center for Intermodal Transportation. Colvard Student Union -Ballroom, at 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- February 16th : Reliable Facility Location Design under Probabilistic Disruptions, Xiaopeng Li, an Assistant Professor with the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Mississippi State Unviersity, Dunn Conference Room, McCain Hall, at 11:30am-1:00 p.m.
- July 15th : Applications of Operations Research in the Railroad Sector, Krishna Jha,Vice President of Research & Development at Innovative Scheduling. Dunn Conference Room, McCain Hall, at 12:00-1:30 p.m.
- March 25th : Transportation, Supply Chain, and Logistics Management, Deep South INFORMS Regional Chapter and MSU Transportation Working Group. Colvard Student Union, Mississippi State University at 12:30-5:00 p.m. Click here to download a booklet of abstracts. Click here to view photos of the winners and speaker.
- February 18th : A Unified View of Parallel Machine Scheduling with Interdependent Processing Rates, Bahram Alidaee, PhD, Proefssor of Operations Management, Marketing Department, Mississippi State University. McCain Hall, Dunn Conference Room, at 12:00-1:30pm.
- November 19th: Evaluating Interaction of Task Relevance and Visual Attention in Driver Multitasking, Teena Garrison, PhD, Graduate Research Assistant, Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems, Mississippi State University. McCain Hall, Brannan Conference Room, at 11:30-1:00 p.m.
- November 12th: Streamlining Environmental and Planning Process, Rodrigo Nobrega, PhD, Assistant Research Professor, Geosystems Research Institute, Mississippi State University. McCain Hall, Room 105, at 12:00-1:30pm.
- April 23rd : Investigating Driver Behavior and Performance using Driving Simulation, Daniel Carruth, Assistant Research Prof. at Mississippi State University's Center for Advance Vehicular Systems (CAVS). Second floor in the Brannan Conference Room, at 3:30-4:30pm
- March 11th : Applying Operations Research to National Transportation Needs: A Sampling of Projects from the ORNL Center for Transportation Analysis, Michael R. Hilliard - Research Staff at the Center for Transportation Analysis, Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Second floor in the Brannan Conference Room, at 11:00 a.m.
- March 11th : 2nd Annual Transportation Workshop, third floor at the Colvard Student Union, in Foster Ballroom M from 12:30-2:30 p.m. Click here to view the winners of the student poster competition.
- November 19th : A Discussion of Recent Waterborne Transportation Related Issues, Administrator of Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Development Authority. Second floor in the Brannan Conference Room, at 12:30 p.m.
- November 6th : The Impacts of Highway Expansion on Population Redistribution: An Integrated Spatial Approach, Assistant Professor of Department of Sociology at Mississippi State University. Second floor in the Dunn Conference Room, at 11:30 a.m.
- September 10th : Development of the Integrated Biomass Supply Analysis and Logistics Model, Dr. ShahabSokhansanj, Adjunct Professor University of British Columbia, University of Tennessee, and Emeritus Professor, University of Saskatchewan. Second floor in the Dunn Conference Room, at 11:30 a.m.
- April 24th : Transportation Research Seminar featuring Acey Roberts, ITS Engineer with Mississippi Department of Transportation -Traffic Engineering Division. He will discuss MDOT’s response to Hurricane Gustav which featured the largest mass evacuation in Louisiana’s history. Second floor in the Dunn Conference Room, at 11:30 a.m.
- February 6th : Transportation Workshop, featuring MSU faculty, students, and staff presenting ongoing research that identifies interdisciplinary collaboration venues within the university and centers. Click here for workshop abstracts. First floor, Elton King Room, at 12:30 p.m.
- January 23rd : A Game Theoretic Approach to Updating and Improving Decision-making in OR Applications, Dr. Sharif Melouk, Assistant Professor Operations Management, University of Alabama. Second floor in the Dunn Conference Room, at 11:30 a.m.
- October 24th: A Facility Location Model with Safety Stock Costs: Analysis of the Cost of Single-Sourcing Requirements, Dr. Joseph Geunes, Associate Professor and Associate Chair of the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at the University of Florida. Second floor in the Dunn Conference Room, at 11:30 a.m.
- September 19th: Information Technology and Supply Chain Management to Enhance Business Competitiveness, Dr. Jatinder (Jeet) N. D. Gupta, Eminent Scholar of Management of Technology, College of Business Administration, University of Alabama in Huntsville. Second floor in the Dunn Conference Room, at 11:30 a.m.
- September 5th : Meeting located in the McCain Engineering Building, second floor in Dunn Conference Room, at noon to 1:00 p.m.
- January 25th : Integrated Warehouse Location and Inventory Decisions in Three-Tier Distribution Systems, Dr. Burcu B. Keskin, Assistant Professor in the Department of Information Systems, Statistics, and Management Science at the University of Alabama.
- February 29th : Cutting-Stock Problems in the Wood Processing Industry, Yahya Fathi, Professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at North Carolina State University.
- April 2nd : Non-Cooperative Outsourcing Games, Dr. George L. Vairaktarakis, Associate Professor Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University.
- September 12th : Automotive Distribution Network Design: A Perspective from Mississippi, Sandra D. Eksioglu, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, MSU.
- September 27th: Coordinated Inventory and Transportation Decisions in a Two-stage Supply Chain, Ismail Capar, Industrial and Systems Engineering, MSU.
- October 18th: Surprising Designs for Unit-Load Warehouses, Kevin Gue, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Auburn University.
- November 16th: Integrated Asset Replacement and Utilization Decisions, Joseph C. Hartman, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Lehigh University.
- February 27th: Overview of the Department of Agricultural Economics, Albert Allen, Department of Agricultural Economics, MSU.
- March 27th: Intermodal Competition in US Soybean Exports, Won W. Koo, Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Professor and Director - Center for Agricultural Policy and Trade Studies, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics, North Dakota State University.
- May 3rd: Transportation Security, Patricia S. Hu, Director, Center for Transportation Analysis, Oak Ridge National Laboratory at NTRC, Knoxville, TN.