To increase the pool of historically underrepresented and under-served students who will be prepared to enter and complete post-secondary studies in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM); thus creating a diverse and globally competitive workforce.
To be a beacon and benchmark for excellence and equity in pre-college education.
Students: Why Get Involved with SECME?
Pre-Engineering and Science Opportunities for Students
Participating in your school’s SECME program provides:
- Fun and interesting programs, activities, and mentors to prepare you for college admission and teach about careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics
- National network of Member Universities which recruit SECME students to their institutions
- Scholarships, internships, competitions and networking to pave your way through college to high-paying STEM careers
- A network of SECME alumni, industry and university partners all committed to your success
It’s all about YOU
Teachers: Why Get Involved with SECME?
Make a Difference in a Student’s Life
Go back to your childhood memories. Some of the most memorable teachers you can think of went above and beyond the classroom to help. They were mentors, coordinated your favorite after-school club, or coached an athletic team. You are now the teacher. Are you ready to make an impact on today’s children the way your teachers did with you?
With the help of SECME National, Master Teachers, University and corporate partners, we equip and assist you to:
- Utilize more hands-on activities to introduce and reinforce math and science concepts
- Align activities and competitions of a SECME club or program with your classroom teaching
- Develop a strong SECME program which prepares students both academically and socially for college
- Become part of a network of exemplary educators and other partners who share the goal of equity and excellence in education – particularly in the STEM disciplines
School Districts: Why Get Involved with SECME?
Improved student Achievement and Postsecondary Access for School Districts
- A proven framework for improved student achievement in STEM, which is compatible with many other STEM initiatives & curricula
- Partnership with and support from SECME Member Universities (MSU) and industry partners
- Hands-on, inquiry and standards-based STEM professional development in engineering, science and math for K-12 educators
- A forum to address NCLB requirements for highly-qualified teachers; partnership with National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- A program and technical assistance to engage and educate parents as partners in their children’s education process
- Access to teacher mini-grant, fellowship and research opportunities, as well as student scholarship, internship and summer opportunities.
- Access to a clearinghouse of national education best-practices
What Makes Us Unique?
SECME is the oldest Pre-college (K-12) alliance, linking engineering universities, school systems, parents and corporate/government partners.
- SECME is “Teacher-Centered.” It’s primary business always has been to renew, revitalize, and retool teachers, in mind and spirit, through its Summer Institutes and year-round staff development.
- Although SECME focuses on engineering, it produces students who can succeed in other fields, as well as engineering.
- It has a parent program model that not only informs and educates parents, motivating them to get involved and stay involved in their child’s education but provides an experience, a journey for them to travel along with their children.
K-12 Outreach Engineering/Diversity Programs
Or go to www.SECME.org