Calendar of events and announcement of upcoming activity / meeting
- April 28, 2014, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., at the Energy Institute Auditorium: Research Seminar, “Mixed-Integer Fractional Programming: Models, Algorithms, and Applications in Process Operations, Energy Systems, and Sustainability,” by Dr. Fengqi You, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Northwestern University.
- March 28, 2014, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., at the Energy Institute Auditorium: Research Seminar, “Policy Matters: Economic, Land Use and Environmental Impacts of Transportation Fuel Policies in Brazil,” by Dr. Hayri Onal, Agricultural and Consumer Economics Department, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- February 26, 2014, 3:30-5 p.m., at Fowlkes Auditorium, Colvard Student Union: Research Seminar, “Funding Opportunities at the National Science Foundation in Manufacturing and Service Enterprise Systems” Dr. Edwin Romeijn, program manager at NSF.
- February (Date TBD): Energy Workshop and Student Poster Competition. Colvard Student Union.
- January 28, 2014, Research seminar “Environmental Impacts of Biofuels: Lifecycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” by Dr. Valerie Thomas, Associate Professor, School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, and School of Public Policy, Georgia Institute of Technology.
Agricultural and biological engineering
School of Architecture
Biochemistry, molecular biology, entomology & plant pathology
Civil and environmental engineering
V. Gnaneswar Gude
Electrical and computer engineering
El Barberry Hassan
Industrial and systems engineering
Institute for Clean Energy Technology
Institute for Imaging & Analytical Technologies
Mississippi State Chemical Laboratory
Plant and soil sciences
Focus areas / Scope of activities of the group
Nuclear waste/ reprocessing
Coal/Lignite (Environmental effects of energy production and utilization)
Carbon capture and storage
Coal/Lignite (Energy conversion, transmission, distribution, and use)
Enhanced fossil fuel recovery
Diagnostics and monitoring
Biofuels and biochemicals
CHP (Energy conversion, transmission, distribution, and use)
Supply chain design and management
Transmission and distribution
Energy usage assessments
Federal energy management program (FEMP)
Green/ Sustainable building
CHP (Energy conservation and efficiency)
Life cycle analysis
List of major accomplishments
Members of the EWG group submitted eleven proposals in FY13, for a total of $9,401,658. Five projects were funded in FY13 through Choctaw Coal (three projects totaling $31,794), USDA NIFA ($1,000,000), and KiOR ($250,000), for a total of $1,281,794.
Join our group
The energy working group (EWG) organizes a number of events during the academic year which will allow you to meet faculty from across campus and discuss new energy research areas, investigate possible new collaborations, and hear from experts in the energy area. The EWG works closely with the Energy Institute. The Energy Institute has established an infrastructure for converting agricultural products into liquid fuels. If interested to join the EWG, contact Sandra Eksioglu.
Contact information for the group leader
Jonathan Pote, PhD
Department Head & Professor
Agriculture and Biological Engineering