Bagley College of Engineering COVID-19 Guidelines  DETAILS

Engineering on the Coast

Future engineers living on the Gulf Coast now have an affordable option for earning a world-renowned education close to home. The Bagley College of Engineering at Mississippi State University is now offering three Bachelor of Science degrees through a collaboration with Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

Students may complete up to 64 hours of coursework at a community college or other institution of their choice before enrolling in electrical, mechanical, or industrial engineering classes in the Engineering on the Coast (EoC) program. Completion of the EoC program results in a bachelor of science degree from MSU. The classes will be offered on-campus at MGCCC-Gautier by Bagley College faculty or through synchronous online-delivery from MSU’s Starkville campus.

Engineering on the Coast Information

How to apply

MGCCC is developing an Associate of Science degree, which new students will apply to and current students can transfer to. The associate degree will satisfy math, chemistry, physics, and general education requirements. Specific instructions are shown below:

  1. Complete an application for admission.
    1. Students currently enrolled at MGCCC should complete the Partnership Application. The Partnership Application will gain you transient admission status with MSU. Transient admission allows you to enroll in selected MSU courses while enrolled at MGCCC.
    2. Freshman/Transfer/Re-entering Students applying to MGCCC should indicate interest on the MGCCC application for admission by answering, “YES” to “Are you interested in the Engineering Partnership Program with Mississippi State University?”
    3. Students identified as eligible for full enrollment in the program must complete an online Mississippi State University Application for transfer admission and choose the MGCCC/MSU campus. Official transcripts from MGCCC and any other college you have attended should be sent to MSU at this time.
  2. Receive access credentials from MGCCC and Mississippi State (to log in to MGCCC Web Services & MyState Portal).
  3. Receive invitation to and attend Partnership Orientation.
  4. Meet with program coordinator to receive program guidance and degree map.
  5. Register for classes.
  6. Payment of Fees
    1. Students make payments to MGCCC & MSU
    2. Students receiving federal aid will pay MGCCC or MSU with FA reimbursement

Entrance Requirements

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College entrance requirements

Mississippi State University entrance requirements

The Bagley College of Engineering additional requirements

Students who do not meet these requirements may need to apply for regular admission to MGCCC and apply for engineering admission in the next partnership cycle.

Financial Aid

Engineering majors should list both MGCCC and Mississippi State University on FASFA application.

Students sign the MSU/MGCCC Financial Aid Consortium to ensure hours are combined at both schools to maximize financial aid opportunities. 


Students will be encouraged to apply for full admission with MSU upon completion of 48 hours at MGCCC and the first semester the student is taking less than a full time load with MGCCC, while taking more than one MSU course. This will allow students to be considered for community college transfer scholarships and will ensure their financial aid resides with MSU at that time as well.

Non-Resident Fee Waiver for South Alabama Counties

Mississippi State University-Engineering on the Coast received approval in 2016 from the Institutions of Higher Learning to waive nonresident charges for Alabama residents in these four Alabama counties; Baldwin, Escambia, Mobile, and Washington. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs for more details at 662.325.3045.


Will I need to go to the Starkville campus?

In this program, students can receive a Mississippi State University Bagley College of Engineering degree without going to Starkville. A student may decide to go for a semester or study at the main campus, but that is a personal choice.

Will there be distance education classes?

In this program there will be a mixture of face-to-face and distance instruction. Students will be able to sit in a classroom at MGCCC and synchronously interact with a Mississippi State faculty member and students while they are in class.

What about co-ops or internships?

We anticipate that cooperative education and internship programs will be available. We are working to establish partnerships with companies to create these opportunities for our students.

Do I need a computer?

Mississippi State University requires all engineering students to own a laptop.
Bagley Computer Requirements

What about computer software?

Students will be required to have certain computer software. Some programs can be downloaded for free or purchased at a discount by Mississippi State students as we have certain software licenses. Students will receive information on software needs in their courses.

What if I am a veteran, service member, survivor or dependent of a veteran?

The MSU Center for America’s Veterans is a resource center in support of student veterans, service members, dependents and survivors. Upon admission to MSU, if students are currently using or would like to use VA education benefits, please contact Eddie Scales at 662.325.1496 or Melanie Owens at 662.325.6719 or Students can also visit

Also, current MGCCC veterans, service members, survivors of dependent of a veteran, who wish to talk about the forms and the procedures of transferring educational benefits to MSU, can contact contact Sheila Lowery at 228.497.7636.

For more information

Deena Kuntz
Program Coordinator - ECE/ME
Engineering on the Coast

Jackson County Campus
P.O. Box 100
Gautier, MS 39553

Special thanks to our sponsors!

MS Power
International Paper